• Recognize signs of overdoses

    To the Editor:

    Overdoses are happening everywhere, all over the country. In our current society, the streets are filled to the brim with ultra-strong heroin that's often mixed with fentanyl and a multitude of its analogues, making life saving efforts like Narcan futile when trying to reverse an overdose.

    The thing is, overdoses don't just happen in the bathroom or bedroom at home. In fact, many people who overdose do so in public areas. Overdoses can happen in the grocery store, in the car, at a shopping mall, just about anywhere.

  • Support the Red Cross

    Often during the holidays, one stops and looks back over the past year. For  

    me, it’s about reflecting on what it truly means to be there for others in  

    need. Seeing how much people throughout the country went through this year  

    and seeing how the American Red Cross was there, time and time again, makes  

    me proud to say that I support our local Red Cross.


    The torrential floods in 2015 soaked us. In 2016, it was Hurricane  

  • Enjoyed "Christmas in Chester"

    To the Editor:


    Christmas in Chester was such an amazing event for young and old alike. I don't know who had more fun, my granddaughter or me. I have always said that it is the people of Chester who make it such a special place. Many thanks to all the sponsors and volunteers who made this such a magical event, again. From Friday night Christmas music with the children, Santa Claus, tree lighting and ice skating. And the food trucks were such a great addition. Hamburger with French fries, because I could. Well, my princess had to eat!

  • Chronic pain dinner

    To the Editor:

    A special thanks to Dr. James Stauffer and the participants who attended the Chronic Pain Awareness Dinner that was held at 3 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 10, at the Market Building, 116 Columbia St.

    Dr. Stauffer spoke on the lack of minerals, such as unrefined salt, magnesium and iodine, that can be the cause of our bodies' pain due to the craving of these minerals and how lower back pain is caused by the deterioration of disks and injury. It has been proven that with proper stretching and alignment you don't always have to have surgery.

  • Childhood memories

    To the Editor:

    My sister, Sandy Wylie, and I were in Miss Violet Anderson's third-grade class at the old College Street School. Our class was selling small framed pictures of Jesus.

    We asked Mr. Holcombe if he would buy one from us. He obliged and made a set of twins very happy.

    This goes to show that what may seem a small thing to someone is a lifetime memory for a child. We still vividly remember the occasion. We are now 77 years of age and still have fond memories.

  • Bundy clarifies recent comments

    To the Editor:

    As the Chester Healthcare Foundation is a private, tax-exempt (501-c-4) foundation approved by the Internal Revenue Service, it operates primarily to further the common good and general welfare of the people of the community it serves, and it does not benefit private groups of citizens.

  • Trump and Charlottesville

     To the Editor:

  • Darby seeks family information

    To the Editor:

    I am the author of "After Charleston and Ferguson – Where Do We Go From Here?" I am visiting Chester County this weekend in search of my heritage. My grandfather, James Walker Darby, was the son of a slave. His father, John Darby, lived in Chester County  from 1845 to 1929.

  • DSR Scholarship Foundation Golf

    To the Editor:

    The Derresha Shar'Daye Rhinehart Scholarship Foundation would like to thank everyone who helped make our first annual golf tournament a huge success on Friday, April 7.

    First place winners were Team WGCD – Earl Moore (captain), James Sanders, Wyatt Blackmon and Bill Gladden.

  • Dog death should be wake-up call

    It's hot outside—so hot that spending too much time in the sun is not just uncomfortable but also potentially deadly, as was evidently the case for a chained Great Falls pit bull that was left to bake in the heat with no access to shade or water. A concerned neighbor called the police to report the dog's suffering, but by then, it was too late – the dog had apparently strangled to death on his tether in a desperate attempt to reach shade. His owner has been charged with cruelty.