- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Anointed Church of God
The Rev. Jesse Boulware will be honored during the 10 a.m. worship service Sunday. Fifty-six years ago, Sept. 15, 1957, the Rev. Boulware delivered his initial sermon at Friendship Missionary Baptist Church and has been serving Chester, York and Fairfield counties since. The public is invited to attend. Church is at 238 Gadsden St.
• Finance meeting, 7 p.m. Sunday.
• Mature Years meeting, 11 a.m. Monday.
• Bible study, 2 p.m. Wednesday.
• Sandy River Masons yard sale, 8 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 28.
• Men's breakfast, 8 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 6.
• AA meetings are held at 8 p.m. Wednesdays in the fellowship hall.
Battered But Not Broken Ministries
• On the first Saturday of each month from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Battered But Not Broken will hold Let's Talk Chester County at 564 York Road. Parents and guardians are invited to discuss events going on in the schools, such as bullying and more.
• Battered But Not Broken Ministry is always in need of donations. Checks may be made out to Battered But Not Broken Ministry and mailed to P.O. Box 213, Chester. The group's mission is to assist families and ex-offenders rebuild their lives in the community while re-establishing homes and helping fight drug and alcohol abuse, crime and violence. Call LeTanya Hall at 385-2290 or visit www.batteredbutnotbrokenministries.org.
• Special Sunday school service, 9:30 a.m. Sunday with the Rev. Mike Shaffer of First Baptist Church of Lowrys.
• Finance Committee meeting, 7 p.m. Monday.
• Tuesday Bible study group, 11 a.m. Tuesdays in the Book of Job.
• CrossRoads program, 6 p.m. Wednesdays. Covered dish meal at 6 p.m., Bible study at 6:45 p.m.
• UMW Rock Hill District annual meeting, 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at Philadelphia UMC in Fort Mill. See Jane Carter or a circle leader if planning to attend.
• Volunteers needed for seventh annual church barbecue set for Friday, Oct. 18. Call 385-3266.
• Annual Family and Friends Day, 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 22, with the Rev. Earl Stringfellow of Mount Pilgrim Baptist, Fort Lawn. All welcome.
• Trial sermon of Ruby Brice Hope, 3 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 29. She is the wife of Pastor James Hope and the first lady of Bethlehem Baptist.
Blackstock First Baptist
• Visit to Chester Active Day Center, 10 a.m. Monday.
• Bible study, 7 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Business meeting, 7 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 22.
• Council meeting, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25.
Branded 4 Life Cowboy Church
Singing and worship, 7 to 8 p.m. Monday at 1777 Old Mill Road, Richburg. All welcome.
Calvary Baptist, Calvary Church Road
• Trash pick-up and preparations for homecoming, 10 a.m. Saturday. Practice for the 175th anniversary celebration, noon Saturday.
• AWANAs for ages two through 18, 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Lunch and Bible study at the Cyclone Restaurant, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday.
• Fellowship meal, prayer, devotions, children's programs and Adult Choir practice, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Celebration of 175th anniversary and homecoming, Sunday, Sept. 22. For that Sunday only, service starts at 10 a.m. with a brief break at 11 a.m. No Sunday school.
Capers Chapel UMC
• Homecoming, 11 a.m. Sunday followed by covered dish meal. No Sunday school. The Rev. Joe Long, district superintendent of Rock Hill District, will speak.
• Revival, 7 p.m. Sept. 16-17.
• Volunteers and crafters needed for new Christmas season Chrismons, 10 a.m. Wednesdays. Call Ed and Jan Mauney at 377-4514 or Larry and Anna Whitesides at 803-222-7424.
• Mid-week meals and activities, Wednesday. Meal at 6 p.m., children/youth activities and mid-week worship at 6:45 p.m. and Sanctuary Choir rehearsal at 7:30 p.m.
• Men's Bible study/prayer, 7 a.m. Friday in the Barron Room.
• Fall psalm sing at Hopewell, 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 29. Refreshments to follow.
Chester First Baptist
• Men's breakfast, Sunday.
• Palmetto Village sing-alongs, Monday.
• Senior adult luncheon, Thursday.
• Fall revival, Sept. 22-25. Homecoming, Sunday, Sept. 22. Bring covered dishes for morning service, church provides drinks and utensils. Services Sept. 22-25 start at 7 p.m with John Adams, pastor of First Baptist of Easley.
• Youth fall retreat, Sept. 27-29.
Chester Second Baptist
• Middle School Fellowship Night for grades six through eight, 7 to 9:30 p.m. tonight. Guys will have video games and snacks, girls will attend a movie or go out to eat.
• Church-wide luncheon and forum, 12:30 p.m. Sunday.
• Classes for Vine Institute, 7 p.m. Mondays at new location, 125 Hudson St. September classes to feature Dennis Brown from The Healing Room in Charlotte and will be held Sept. 16, 23 and 30.
• Open Door hosting "One Concert (One God, One City, One Night)," 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, in the Chester Ampitheater downtown next to former Kimbrell's Furniture. Four to five bands will perform, including Refuge District, and a dance team. Free admission. Vendors will sell food and drinks. Outdoor games, prize giveaways.
• Wednesday night meal, 6 p.m. on Sept. 25.
• Ladies monthly Bible study on "Trusting God" resumes Thursday, Sept. 26. For time/location, call 377-7149.
• EXALT for middle school and high school students, 7 p.m. Wednesday in the auditorium. Games, music, skits and videos. Call Nate Malone at 377-7149.
Chestnut Grove AME Zion
Women's Conference, "Release Those Bags," Sept. 20-22 with the Rev. Ina C. Harris. Praise and worship service Friday night, Sept. 20, will be by Pastor Connie Richmond of New Vision Church of God of Prophecy, Chester. The Rev. Thelma Gordon of Liberty Hill AME Zion speaks at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20, on "100 Women in Red." The Rev. Michelle Moore of Greater Glory Worship Center, Charlotte, speaks at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, on "Balance It All." Prophetess Carolyn Carr, CEO of Freed 2 Free Life and prayer coach, speaks on "Release Those Bags" at 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, followed by the Rev. Donnie Dye of Zion Pilgrim Missionary Baptist, Chester, speaking on "Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man." Al women invited. Registration fee is $10.
Christian Motorcycle Association
The Warriors of Fire Rock Hill Chapter of the Christian Motorcycle Association meets at 9 a.m. the second Saturday of each month at Golden Corral in Rock Hill. For details visit www.cmausa.org.
Cool Branch Baptist
• Communion, Sunday.
• New Sunday school enrollment through September, all welcome. Classes for all ages.
• Janie Chapman offering taken through September.
Eternal Rock Church
Prayer and Bible study, 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. Teenage Bible class, 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. Refreshments served. Prayer, 9 to 11 p.m. Friday.
First Baptist of Lowrys
• Heritage Boys in concert, Saturday.
• Sunday school teachers' banquet, 7 p.m. Thursday.
First Baptist of Richburg
• Christian Woman's Book Club newly formed for women/men interested in reading and sharing the written word. Meeting Saturday, Sept. 21, at 4571 Bobcat Lane, Fort Lawn. Call Paula Olive at 704-201-2020.
• Men's Ministry meeting, 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, at the church social hall, 165 Main St., Richburg.
First Church of the Nazarene
• Alabaster offering received Sunday, Sept. 22, to help purchase land and build churches, hospitals, schools and clinics in world areas where help is needed. Children having a fundraising contest.
• Church has a donated 2001 23-square-foot Sea Fox boat that will be sold for $10,000 or best offer. Call 385-5771 or 209-3708 for details.
• Clean-up day, 8 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 28. All teachers should attend to get classrooms ready.
• Homecoming, 10 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 6, with The Harvells as guest singers. All invited to celebrate 81 years of ministry. Meal in the Family Life Center after morning worship.
First Free Will Baptist
• Teens For Christ, 4:30 p.m. Saturday to go bowling.
• Happy Stitchers meeting, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21.
• Ladies Auxiliary fundraiser dinner, Sunday, Sept. 22. Cost is $8 for adults, $4 for children 10 and younger. Barbecue, baked beans, cole slaw, corn, rolls, drinks and dessert.
• BCBI starts, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 30.
Fountain of Life Church of God
• J.O.Y. Ministry, Thursday.
• Nursing home ministry, 2 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24.
• Fifth Sunday service during evening worship Sunday, Sept. 29.
Friendship Missionary Baptist
South Carolina Parents Involved in Education, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday for 12 and older. Parents welcome. Topic: "Abstinence Education." Refreshments served.
Harvest Time Ministries
Crusade For Jesus Deliverance Tent Ministry, 6:30 p.m. starting Sunday at 118 Hamilton St. Singing nightly, various speakers.
Holy Ghost Tent Revival
Brother Thomas Currence will hold a Holy Ghost Tent Revival at 7 p.m. nightly in the field beside Great Falls Feed & Seed. Preaching, teaching, healing and deliverance. Singing every night with Richard Wilkes, recording artist Jackie Beatty Greene and others. Anyone interested in providing donations of Bibles, finances or gas can call Brother Thomas Currence at 374-4466.
Holy Place Church
• Big revival, 3 p.m. Sunday with the Rev. Donnie Dye. The Rev. Billy Wilson of Gethsemane Baptist, Rock Hill, speaks at 7 p.m. nightly Sept. 16-19. Theme: "Our God Reigns."
• Men's Choir seventh anniversary celebration, 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 29. Theme: "Something About The Name Jesus." Various choirs will sing, all welcome.
Lando Church of God
• Meal served after morning service Sunday. Proceeds to Honduras Mission Project.
• Men's Rally at Mauldin Campground, Saturday, Sept. 21.
• Cooney Wishert continues Book of Daniel with Chapter Two for Bible study morning worship.
• Budget Committee meeting follows morning service Sunday.
• Homecoming, Sunday, Sept. 29.
• Deacon ordination service for Joe Wishert and Steve Dodds, Sunday, Sept. 29.
• Fall revival with the Rev. Ron Roddey, Sept. 30-Oct. 2.
• Holy Communion, Sunday, Oct. 6.
• Sunday school at 10 a.m. Sunday on "The Unveiling" from Book of Revelations. State missions offering to be taken.
• Sunday night choir practice, 5:45 p.m. Children’s Choir at 6 p.m. Bible study at 7 p.m.
• Bible study, 7 p.m. Wednesday. Children In Action and Youth, 7 p.m. Wednesday.
• See Dayle Williford for details on disaster relief training set for Saturday, Oct. 12, at White Oak.
• Needed food pantry items are egg noodles or elbow macaroni. Last week was dish detergent.
Metropolitan AME Zion
• Homecoming, 2 p.m. Sunday with the Rev. Carl Smith of Brooklyn-Williamsville. Revival at 7 p.m. Sunday and Monday with Prophetess Carolyn Carr of Freed to Free Ministries, Gastonia. All invited.
• Prayer at 6 p.m. and Bible study at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Mount Dearborn UMC
Old pictures of the church and community needed for the 100 year celebration Oct. 7, 8, and 9. Call Sallie Hudson at 385-7251.
Mount Moriah Baptist
Food pantry is open the third Saturday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon. Proof of address and a picture ID are required. Call 377-3495.
Mount Nebo AME Zion
Appreciation day for Brother Roger McMullen, 6 p.m. Saturday with Minister Anita Thornwell, of Mount Nebo, Minister Marquavious Hopkins of Mount Vernon, Fort Lawn, and the Rev. Tony White of Creaper Fair Plains AME Zion, McColl.
Mount Olive Baptist, Fairfield
• Anniversary celebration for the Rev. Johnny L. Morgan, 2 p.m. Sunday. All welcome.
• Junior Choir anniversary celebration, 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 6. Various choirs will sing.
New Hope UMC
• Council on Ministries meeting, 6:45 p.m. Wednesday.
• Administrative Board meeting, 7 p.m. Thursday.
One Faith Singers
Fifth anniversary celebration, 7 p.m. Saturday at Browns Chapel AME Zion Church, Lowrys. All groups and choirs welcome. Emcee will be the Rev. William "Chucky" Abel; musicians Jason Missouri and Company. Praise and worship by Just Blessed and Women of Praise Dancers.
• Let Kim Orr or Donna Runion know by Sunday if willing to serve as a messenger for the Associational annual session Oct. 21 at Harmony Baptist.
• Food Pantry ministries, Sept. 23-27.
• Prayer, 6:30 p.m. Monday. Bible classes, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Health checks available through Billy Murphy Foundation, 144 Center St. Call 374-4216 or 385-2878 for appointments. Lines are open for prayer. Call 581-0004.
WMU collecting school supplies to donate. Drop off donations 8 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday at the church. There is a collection box in the social hall.
Pine Grove Baptist
Intercessory prayer, 6:15 p.m. Wednesday followed by Bible study at 7 p.m.
• Handbell rehearsal, 5:45 p.m. Sunday.
• Boy Scouts meet at 6:30 p.m. Mondays.
• Bible study, 10 a.m. Tuesday. Cub Scouts at 6:30 p.m.
• Wednesday night programs start at 6 p.m. Light dinner for children and snacks for adults. Bible study and activities for all ages.
• Adult Choir practice, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Call 377-8175 for details on working in the community garden from 10 a.m. to noon Saturdays.
Rehoboth AME Zion
Prayer and Bible study, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Repairer of the Breach Evangelistic Ministry
• Church Without Walls, 3 to 5 p.m. Sundays, Oct. 6, 13, 20 and 27 at Chester Fairgrounds. To volunteer, call 385-3584.
• Bible study, 7 p.m. Wednesday at Brooklyn Center, 331 Ashford St.
Saluda Street Church of God
Young At Heart seniors meeting, noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, in the Family Life Center.
Seed of Blessings Ministry Revival Center
Revival Thursday at 7 p.m. with Evangelist A.L. Hensley. Simple gospel and prayers for sick and afflicted. All welcome. Church is at 2738 Catawba River Road, Fort Lawn. Call 370-2147.
Sweet Hope Baptist
• Worship will be at 9 a.m. this Sunday only. Regular times are Sunday school at 9 a.m. and worship at 10 a.m.
• Gospel Choir anniversary celebration, 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20.
Together As One
• Revival, 7 p.m. nightly through Sunday with the Rev. Jimmy Cox of Saluda Street Church of God. Special singing each night.
• Bible study, 7 p.m. Wednesday.
• Joy Night, 6 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 29.
Union Ezell AME Zion
Chinese auction, Friday, Sept. 20, at American Legion in Lancaster. Doors at 5 p.m., auction at 7 p.m. Call Willie Day at 803-872-4811.
United Pentecostal Church
Bible study, 7:30 p.m. Fridays at the Chester YMCA. Call David Hinton at 385-6848. All welcome.
West Chester Baptist
• Prayer Team meets at 6 p.m. Tuesdays. All welcome.
• ICMP Church Health Taskforce to present report during morning worship Sunday, Sept. 22. Fellowship meal to follow.
• Homecoming, Sunday with the Rev. Cecil Johnson. Lunch to follow.
• Janie Chapman offering continues in September.
• Food pantry item for September is canned corn.
Zoe Life Community Bible class
Zoe Life Community Bible class, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. first, second and third Tuesdays at Brooklyn Center on Ashford Street. Taught by the Rev. C. Pendergrass.