- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Antioch AME Zion
Women's Conference, "Walking By Faith and Not By Sight," March 16-18. Speakers are the Rev. Angela Boyd, Minister Camille Peay, Maggie Bostic, Dr. Cathrine Scott, the Rev. Robert T. Benton, the Rev. Sandra K. Benton and Minister Sallie Lakin. Separate workshops will be held for children and youth led by the Rev. Melissa S. Benton, among others. Registration is due by March 11. Call 803-353-7143 for information on registration prices. Vendors welcome. Saxophonist Dante Lewis will perform for the gala at 7 p.m. Saturday, March 17, at the event hall, 2901 Two Notch Road, Columbia.
• UMYF at Bethel, 5 p.m. Sunday.
• Call Shirley Shuler to donate to Armenia's and Bethel's lunch during Holy Week.
• Easter egg hunt, Saturday, March 31. See Laura Roberts or Margie Atkinson to help or donate. A count of those attending is needed to prepare for supplies and lunch.
• AA meetings are held at 8 p.m. Wednesdays in the fellowship hall.
Battered But Not Broken Ministries
• On the first Saturday of each month, Battered But Not Broken will be at 144 Gadsden St. from 11 a.m. to noon. Mentors are needed. If interested, call 385-2290.
• Battered But Not Broken Ministry is always in need of donations. Checks may be made out to Battered But Not Broken Ministry and mailed to P.O. Box 213, Chester. The group's mission is to assist families and ex-offenders rebuild their lives in the community while re-establishing homes and helping fight drug and alcohol abuse, crime and violence. Call LeTanya Hall at 385-2290 or visit www.batteredbutnotbrokenministries.org.
• Loaves and Fishes Community Soup Cafe will serve from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. each Wednesday through March.
• Salkehatchie Summer Service will be June 16-23. Call Bethel for an application. Applications are due to the church office by Sunday, March 25. They are due by March 30 to Columbia. Donations may be made starting now to Bethel to cover campers, supplies, food, snacks, etc.
Browns Chapel AME Zion
• Youth Revival, tonight from 6 to 8 p.m.; Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; and Sunday during morning services with Brittnay Johnson of Union Ezell AME Zion.
• Just Blessed annual celebration, 5 p.m. Saturday, March 31, with Cedric Bowler and Company and other groups. Theme: "Come Leap Into Your Destiny Along With Just Blessed."
Calvary Baptist, Calvary Church Road
• Annie Armstrong Easter offering goal is $2,500 and will be taken throughout March.
• Community Choir practice, 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Lunch and Bible study at the Cyclone Restaurant, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday.
• Fellowship meal, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. Devotions and Bible study at 7 p.m.
• Ladies who signed up for Extraordinary Women's Conference will leave from Linda Carter's home at 1 p.m. Friday, March 16.
Capers Chapel UMC
Lenten Bible study, "Imagine Your Life Without Fear," 5 p.m. Sunday.
"Be Contagious," a six-session evangelism training experience, 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. Sundays through March 18.
Chester Baptist Association
Pastors' luncheon, 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 21, at Front Porch Restaurant with Joe Youngblood.
Chester First Baptist
• Youth Ministry prayer time, 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Study on Book of Revelation begins Wednesday.
• Blood drive, 2 to 6 p.m. Friday, March 16, in the social hall.
• Men's breakfast, Sunday, March 18.
• Youth Sunday, March 25.
Chester Second Baptist
• Outdoor Christian Ministry turkey calling seminar, 9 a.m. Saturday in the social hall. Cost is $10 for seminar, targets and lunch.
• Second payment for Men's Retreat due Sunday.
• Baby dedication service, Sunday.
• Wednesday Night Family Forums, 7 p.m. through April 4 for parents with children of all ages.
• Newcomer's luncheon will follow services Sunday, March 18, for those new to the church. Call 377-7149 by Monday if planning to attend.
• Horizons Christian Academy Golf Tournament, 1 p.m. Saturday, March 24, at the Chester Golf Course. Call 377-7000.
Chestnut Grove AME Zion
Annual 12 Tribe Rally, 6 p.m. Sunday. The Rev. Edward Brown of Fundamental Baptist, Rock Hill, will speak. All welcome.
Cool Branch Baptist
• Annie Armstrong offering will be taken throughout March.
• Everyone who has placed flowers in the cemetery should remove them for the clean-up set for the first few days of April. All unclaimed flowers will be discarded. When new flowers are brought, names should be on the vases.
Emmanuel Chapel Missionary Baptist
Women of Worth will hold their first Women's Day program at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. The Rev. Melissa Stringfellow-Benton will be the guest preacher. Church is at 233 West End St.
First Baptist of Lowrys
• Week of prayer for Annie Armstrong Missions, March 4-11.
• 3D Evening, 6:30 p.m. Saturday for parents of children birth through 12th grade. Mark Rodenhauser and Todd Hirshberger will speak.
• Men's and ladies' breakfast, 8 a.m. Sunday in the fellowship hall. Cost is $3.
• SYAH and Young at Heart meeting, 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 20.
• Relay for Life gospel concert, 6 p.m. Saturday, March 24.
First Church of the Nazarene
Forty-day series "Seek God For The City" began Feb. 22. Books are $3 and all are invited.
First Free Will Baptist
• Women Active For Christ, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Benefit for Daniel Goings, Saturday, March 17. Hot dog supper at 4 p.m., concert at 6 p.m. with Seventh Vision, AME Zion Mass Chorus, Roger Anders and other local artists. Proceeds go to Goings' medical expenses.
• Open enrollment for Hawthorne Christian Academy goes through April 1. Space is limited.
Harvest Time Ministries
Harvest Time has moved to 118 Hamilton St. Thrift and produce store has moved to 533 Saluda St.
Spaghetti supper, 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, March 17, for $8 per plate. Proceeds will benefit vacation Bible school. Tickets available at the door but also in advance from any church member. Call 581-3574. Eat-in or take-out available. Bake sale will also be held.
• March Bible study, 6 p.m. Wednesday in the social hall. Deacon on call is B.J. Kennedy.
• Church clean-up day, Saturday, March 24.
• Youth leave for Winter Jam today.
• Week of Prayer concludes Sunday.
• Bible study continues in Lamentations continues at 7 p.m. Wednesday. Youth meet at 7 p.m.
• Good News Trio to sing, 7 p.m. Sunday, March 25. All welcome. Finger foods after service.
Mount Do-Well Baptist
Four Gospel program, 2 p.m. Sunday, March 18, with Minister Ethel P. Brown of Mount Do-Well Baptist, McConnells; Elder Troy Bolder of Gethsemane Church, Rock Hill; Minister Linda Simpson of St. Paul Missionary Baptist, McConnells; and the Rev. Sid Murdock of Nazareth Baptist, Rock Hill. Various choirs will sing. All welcome.
Mount Moriah Baptist
Food pantry is open the third Saturday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon. Proof of address and a picture ID are required. Call 377-3495.
Mount Olive Baptist, Fairfield
One Hundred Women in Red program, Sunday, March 18. All welcome.
Mount Zion Baptist
Annual Women's Day program, 2 p.m. Sunday, March 25. Minister Decandice Neely of Big Calvary Baptist, Lando, will speak. Various choirs will render music. All welcome.
New Hope UMC
• Lenten Bible study, "Imagine Your Life Without Fear," 5 p.m. Sunday at Capers Chapel.
• Council on Ministries meeting, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Administrative Board meeting, 7 p.m. Thursday.
New Vision Church of God of Prophecy
Men's Day program, "Men In The KING-dom," 3 p.m. Sunday, March 18. Men of all ages welcome. Women also welcome. Sponsored by Deacon Earnest Richmond Jr.
One Accord Ministries
Church has a thrift-like store with new and used items, such as furniture, baby items, clothing for children and adults, toys and household items. Proceeds go to the church. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, but hours are subject to change (look for the open sign). Call 803-804-0253 for details.
• Collecting money to see who will get a pie in the face. Proceeds to go to Relay For Life.
• Non-perishable food items needed for the Food Bank.
• Men and women having contest to see who will furnish meal for Family Night in March.
• Parkway has a team for Relay For Life this year. See Teresa Smith for details.
• Girl Scouts are now selling Girl Scout cookies.
Pleasant Grove UMC
A soup kitchen will be held the first Saturday of each month from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The meal will be provided for needy families and senior citizens. Church is located at 2868 Gaston Farm Road, Richburg, at the intersection of Lyle Road and Gaston Farm Road.
• Purity Playschool is accepting applications for the two- and three-year-old classes for the 2012-2013 school year. Space is limited. Call 377-8175.
• Invitation to the Psalms, 7 p.m. Monday.
• Tuesday Bible study, 10 a.m.
• Wednesday night program with a meal at 6 p.m. for $5 for adults and free for children. Bible study, music and recreation at 6:30 p.m.
Saluda Street Church of God
Chicken stew fundraiser for senior adults, 10 a.m. Friday, March 16. Chicken stew with crackers will be $7.50 per quart for take out or $4 per bowl with crackers and tea for eat in. Cake will be $1.25 to $2.50 per slice. Whole cakes are $20. For advance orders call 581-3108, 377-1559 or 377-4946.
Sandy River Baptist Association (LD)
Congress of Christian Education vacation Bible school workshop, 10 a.m. Saturday, March 17, at Crossroad Baptist Church in Lockhart.
St. Joseph Catholic
• Stations of the Cross, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Stations of the Cross, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 21 followed by Lenten parish dinner at 7 p.m.
• Lenten Penance service, 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 27.
• Stations of the Cross, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 28.
• Stations of the Cross, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 4.
St. Paul's Presbyterian
All Girl Scouts troops the church has sponsored are invited to the 100th Girl Scouts anniversary worship service at 11 a.m. Sunday. This invitation is for Troops 13, 162, 188, 199 and 225. A hot dog lunch will follow the service. If planning to eat, call Ms. Penney at 385-5772 or Ms. Lynn at 385-5567.
Temple of Praise and Word Deliverance
Soup kitchen, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Thursday.
Trinity Christian Fellowship
Revival with Prophet Malik Seabrook, Wednesday, March 28 through Friday, March 30. Church is at 501 Saluda Road. All welcome.
True Love and Faith Missionary Baptist
Fish fry and plate sale, 11 a.m. Saturday at 224 Columbia St. Call Pastor Eckford at 803-320-1103 or Katherine Young at 374-5249.
Upper Hope Station Missionary Baptist
Family and Friends Day, 2 p.m. Sunday. Guest speaker will be the Rev. W.E. Page of Friendship Missionary Baptist Church. All invited.
West Chester Baptist
• Regular monthly business meeting will follow 11 a.m. services Sunday.
• Young At Heart meeting, 11:30 a.m. Tuesday. Meeting and devotional time followed by a covered dish lunch. All seniors invited to bring a dish and join in.
West Side Baptist
• New Horizons Sunday school class pot luck dinner at church, 6:30 p.m. Friday, March 16.
• Revival, March 18-21 with the Rev. Bennie Durham of Marietta First Baptist. March 18 will be High Attendance Day for Sunday school, March 19 will be Pack-A-Pew, March 20 will be Youth Night and March 21 will be Family Night.
• Supper, 5:30 p.m. Sunday. Donations appreciated. Bible study, 6:30 p.m. Church Health Team meets after prayer meeting. Annie Armstrong Easter offering taken.
• Seniors to Martha Franks Retirement Center in Laurens, Tuesday. Group will take a tour and have a free lunch. Van leaves at 9 a.m. Wear shoes for walking.
• Extraordinary Women Conference, Friday, March 16 and Saturday, March 17. Deborah will drive. Those who signed up need to be ready to leave early Friday afternoon. Group will eat supper at California Dreaming.
• Rice is the Food Pantry item needed this month.
Zion Pilgrim Missionary Baptist
• Pastor Donnie D. Dye and Lady Izetta Dye will be honored on their fourth pastoral anniversary, 10 a.m. Sunday. All invited.
• Men's Day, 10 a.m. Sunday, March 18. All invited.