- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Antioch AME Zion
Women's Conference, "Walking By Faith and Not By Sight," March 16-18. Speakers are the Rev. Angela Boyd, the Rev. Robert T. Benton and the Rev. Sandra K. Benton, among others. Workshops will be held for children and youth led by the Rev. Melissa S. Benton, among others. Saxophonist Dante Lewis will perform for the gala at 7 p.m. Saturday at the event hall, 2901 Two Notch Road, Columbia.
Sixth anniversary celebration for the Rev. Artis J. Bufford, Sunday. Guest speaker for the 11:15 a.m. service will be Pastor Curtis Washington of Temple of Praise Baptist. Speaker at 2:30 p.m. will be the Rev. Dr. Charles B. Jackson Sr. of Brookland Baptist Church.
• Call Shirley Shuler to donate to Armenia's and Bethel's lunch during Holy Week.
• Easter egg hunt, Saturday, March 31. See Laura Roberts or Margie Atkinson to help or donate. A count of those attending is needed to prepare for supplies and lunch.
• AA meetings are held at 8 p.m. Wednesdays in the fellowship hall.
Battered But Not Broken Ministries
• On the first Saturday of each month, Battered But Not Broken will be at 144 Gadsden St. from 11 a.m. to noon. Mentors are needed. If interested, call 385-2290.
• Battered But Not Broken Ministry is always in need of donations. Checks may be made out to Battered But Not Broken Ministry and mailed to P.O. Box 213, Chester. The group's mission is to assist families and ex-offenders rebuild their lives in the community while re-establishing homes and helping fight drug and alcohol abuse, crime and violence. Call LeTanya Hall at 385-2290 or visit www.batteredbutnotbrokenministries.org.
• Holy Week services, April 2-6. Worship from noon to 12:30 p.m., lunch at 12:30 p.m.
• Loaves and Fishes Community Soup Cafe will serve from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. each Wednesday through March.
• Salkehatchie Summer Service will be June 16-23. Call Bethel for an application. Applications are due to the church office by Sunday, March 25. They are due by March 30 to Columbia. Donations may be made starting now to Bethel to cover campers, supplies, food, snacks, etc.
Browns Chapel AME Zion
• Chinese auction, Saturday, March 31 at the fellowship hall. Drop tickets from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., auction starts at 1 p.m. Tickets are $5 per pack. Call 374-6276.
• Just Blessed annual celebration, 5 p.m. Saturday, March 31, with Cedric Bowler and Company and other groups. Theme: "Come Leap Into Your Destiny Along With Just Blessed."
Calvary Baptist, Calvary Church Road
• Annie Armstrong Easter offering goal is $2,500 and will be taken throughout March.
• Community Choir practice, 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Lunch and Bible study at the Cyclone Restaurant, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday.
• Fellowship meal, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. Devotions and Bible study at 7 p.m.
"Be Contagious," a six-session evangelism training experience, 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. Sundays through March 18.
Chester Baptist Association
WMU spring meeting at Parkway Baptist, 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 2. Guest speaker will be Linda Johnson, missionary in Peru for over 30 years. Public invited.
Chester First Baptist
• Blood drive, 2 to 6 p.m. today in the social hall.
• Men's breakfast, Sunday.
• Dinner fundraiser for Relay For Life, after services Sunday, March 25. Turkey, dressing and sides for $8 for adults and $5 for children. Sign up by Wednesday.
• Youth Sunday, March 25.
• Church work day, Saturday, March 31.
• Call 377-7187 to register for four-year-old kindergarten.
Chester Second Baptist
• Wednesday Night Family Forums, 7 p.m. through April 4 for parents with children of all ages.
• Newcomer's luncheon will follow services Sunday for those new to the church.
• Horizons Christian Academy Golf Tournament, 1 p.m. Saturday, March 24, at the Chester Golf Course. Call 377-7000.
Cool Branch Baptist
• Annie Armstrong offering will be taken throughout March.
• Everyone who has placed flowers in the cemetery should remove them for the clean-up set for the first few days of April. All unclaimed flowers will be discarded. When new flowers are brought, names should be on the vases.
• Movie "Courageous" will be shown at 4 p.m. Sunday, April 1, as a youth fundraiser. Loaded baked potatoes and salad served at 5 p.m. See Lisa Taylor to sign up. End of movie will be shown at 6 p.m.
• Easter sunrise service, 7 a.m. Sunday, April 8. Breakfast at 8 a.m., Sunday school to follow concluding services for the day. All welcome.
Revival, 7 p.m. March 25-28 with Dr. Alton Beal, president of Ambassador Baptist College. Old- fashioned Bible preaching and music. Nursery provided.
First Baptist of Lowrys
• Relay for Life gospel concert, 6 p.m. Saturday, March 24, featuring Chappell Road and Country Grass. Admission is free but love offerings will be taken to benefit Relay For Life.
• Volunteers will work the Ministerial Food Pantry from 10 a.m. to noon March 26-30.
• Ladies invited to Associational WMU spring meeting, 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 2.
• Easter egg hunt, 10 a.m. Saturday, April 7.
First Church of the Nazarene
Forty-day series "Seek God For The City" began Feb. 22. Books are $3 and all are invited.
First Free Will Baptist
Open enrollment for Hawthorne Christian Academy goes through April 1. Space is limited.
Friendship Missionary Baptist
Inmates from the S.C. Department of Corrections will present the Get Smart Program to the youth of Friendship Missionary Baptist Church at 6 p.m. Monday. Everyone invited.
Harvest Time Ministries
Harvest Time has moved to 118 Hamilton St. Thrift and produce store has moved to 533 Saluda St.
Spaghetti supper, 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday for $8 per plate. Proceeds will benefit vacation Bible school. Tickets available at the door but also in advance from any church member. Call 581-3574. Eat-in or take-out available. Bake sale will also be held.
Church clean-up day, Saturday, March 24.
• Bible study in Lamentations continues at 7 p.m. Wednesday. Youth also meet at 7 p.m.
• Good News Trio to sing, 7 p.m. Sunday, March 25. All welcome. Finger foods after service.
• Annie Armstrong mission offering will be taken during morning services Sunday, March 25.
• Exercise class on Wednesday and Sunday nights after worship service.
Metropolitan AME Zion
Four Gospel Program, 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Speakers will be Noreata Ferguson of Trinity AME Zion, Brittany Johnson of Union Ezell AME Zion, the Rev. Timothy Mayers of Mount Pleasant AME Zion and Ann Leach of St. James AME Zion. Everyone invited.
Mount Do-Well Baptist
Four Gospel program, 2 p.m. Sunday with Minister Ethel P. Brown of Mount Do-Well Baptist, McConnells; Elder Troy Bolder of Gethsemane Church, Rock Hill; Minister Linda Simpson of St. Paul Missionary Baptist, McConnells; and the Rev. Sid Murdock of Nazareth Baptist, Rock Hill. Various choirs will sing. All welcome.
Mount Hopewell Baptist, Sharon
Jam For The Lamb Youth Revival, 7 p.m. nightly April 5 and 6. "Crossing the Bridge For Christ" classes at 6 p.m. nightly. Classes broken down by ages five to six, seven to 12 and 13 and older. Parents can join the adult session, "Raising A Righteous Generation." Guest revivalist will be Pastor Lamont Johnson of Providence Missionary Baptist, Rockingham. Church is at 8375 Lockhart Highway, Sharon.
Mount Moriah Baptist
Food pantry is open the third Saturday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon. Proof of address and a picture ID are required. Call 377-3495.
Mount Olive Baptist, Chester
Third pastoral appreciation service for the Rev. and Mrs. Terry O. Feaster, 10 a.m. Sunday, March 25. Minister Ferlin Feater of The Holy Place Church, Chester, will speak.
Mount Olive Baptist, Fairfield
One Hundred Women in Red program, Sunday. All welcome.
Mount Prospect Baptist
Pastor appreciation event, 5 p.m. Saturday with the Rev. Boyd of Pine Grove Baptist as guest speaker. Dinner will be served. All welcome.
Mount Zion Baptist
Annual Women's Day program, 2 p.m. Sunday, March 25. Minister Decandice Neely of Big Calvary Baptist, Lando, will speak. Various choirs will render music. All welcome.
New Life Church
Easter egg hunt, 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, April 7, at the Chester High School football stadium. All ages are welcome and admission is free. Call 803-367-6612.
New Vision Church of God of Prophecy
Men's Day program, "Men In The KING-dom," 3 p.m. Sunday. Men of all ages welcome. Women also welcome. Sponsored by Deacon Earnest Richmond Jr.
One Accord Ministries
Church has a thrift-like store with new and used items, such as furniture, baby items, clothing for children and adults, toys and household items. Proceeds go to the church. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, but hours are subject to change (look for the open sign). Call 803-804-0253 for details.
• Nursing home ministry, Tuesday.
• Ladies' brunch, 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, March 24.
• Baptismal service and "God and Country" Scout recognition, Sunday, March 25.
• Visit to Chester Active Day, Monday, March 26.
• Easter egg hunt, Saturday, April 7.
• Easter sunrise service, 7 a.m. Sunday, April 8. Breakfast at 8 a.m., adult Easter cantata at 9 a.m.
Paradise AME Zion
• Second quarterly conference, 6 p.m. Wednesday with Elder Rev. Dr. Marion Wilson.
• Ladies night out, "Pajama Party," 6:30 p.m. Friday, March 23. Donations of $10 requested.
• Woman's Day program. 3 p.m. Sunday, March 25, with the Rev. Anita Sullivan of Gaffney. Ladies should wear white. All welcome. Church is at 106 Dearborn St., Great Falls.
• Collecting money to see who will get a pie in the face. Proceeds to go to Relay For Life.
• Non-perishable food items needed for the Food Bank.
• Parkway has a team for Relay For Life this year. See Teresa Smith for details.
• Girl Scouts are now selling Girl Scout cookies.
Pleasant Grove UMC
A soup kitchen will be held the first Saturday of each month from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The meal will be provided for needy families and senior citizens. Church is located at 2868 Gaston Farm Road, Richburg, at the intersection of Lyle Road and Gaston Farm Road.
• Purity Playschool is accepting applications for the two- and three-year-old classes for the 2012-2013 school year. Space is limited. Call 377-8175.
• Invitation to the Psalms, 7 p.m. Monday.
• Tuesday morning Bible study, 10 a.m.
• Women's book club, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Wednesday night programs with a meal at 6 p.m. at a cost of $5 for adults, free for children. Bible study, music and recreation at 6:30 p.m.
Saluda Street Church of God
Chicken stew fundraiser for senior adults, 10 a.m. today. Chicken stew with crackers will be $7.50 per quart for take out or $4 per bowl with crackers and tea for eat in. Cake will be $1.25 to $2.50 per slice. Whole cakes are $20. For advance orders call 581-3108, 377-1559 or 377-4946.
Sandy River Baptist
Glory of Women health awareness workshop, "Loving The Skin I'm In," 10 a.m. Saturday, March 31 with Evangelist Kimberly Benn from Freedom Temple Ministries, Rock Hill, and Minister Kimberly Sanders of Mount Olive Baptist, Chester. Sanders will minister to teens, Benn to adults. Other speakers will discuss dental, physical and skin health.
Sandy River Baptist Association (LD)
Congress of Christian Education vacation Bible school workshop, 10 a.m. Saturday at Crossroad Baptist Church in Lockhart.
Second Wilson Baptist
Hymn Choir Song and Prayer Fest, 3 p.m. Sunday. Various choirs will sing. All welcome.
St. Joseph Catholic
Stations of the Cross, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday followed by Lenten parish dinner at 7 p.m.
Temple of Praise and Word Deliverance
Soup kitchen, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Thursday.
Trinity Christian Fellowship
Revival with Prophet Malik Seabrook, Wednesday, March 28 through Friday, March 30. Church is at 501 Saluda Road. All welcome.
Wesley Memorial UMC
• Easter meal, 4 p.m. Sunday, April 1. Bring vegetables, bread and dessert. Children can come at 5:30 p.m. for fellowship and fun.
• Easter egg hunt, 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, April 7.
• Easter sunrise service, 6:30 a.m. Sunday, April 8. Breakfast follows. No Sunday school. Worship at 11 a.m., no night services.
West Chester Baptist
• Men's Bible study, "Experiencing God," 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Regular monthly visit to Chester Active Day Center, 10 a.m. Thursday. See Preacher Jeff to sing.
• Regular monthly visit to Chester Regional Nursing Center, 3 p.m. Sunday, March 25. Arrive at 2:30 p.m. to bring residents into the worship room.
• No Sunday night service on March 25, members will join Liberty Baptist for a singing.
• Easter egg hunt for children, 11 a.m. Saturday, March 31. Lunch will be provided.
• Men's Brotherhood breakfast, 8 a.m. Sunday, April 1. Young, adult men invited.
• No night service Wednesday, April 4.
• Easter sunrise service, 7 a.m. Sunday, April 8. Breakfast in the fellowship hall after services. No night services. All welcome.
West Side Baptist
• New Horizons Sunday school class pot luck dinner at church, 6:30 p.m. tonight.
• Revival, March 18-21 with the Rev. Bennie Durham of Marietta First Baptist. March 18 will be High Attendance Day for Sunday school, March 19 will be Pack-A-Pew, March 20 will be Youth Night and March 21 will be Family Night.
• Extraordinary Women Conference, today and Saturday. Those who signed up need to be ready to leave early Friday afternoon. Group will eat supper at California Dreaming.
• Rice is the Food Pantry item needed this month.
• Dinner theater with Aaron Wilburn at White Oak, Thursday, March 29 for those who bought tickets. Van leaves at 5 p.m.
• Spring revival services, April 22-25 with Dr. Carlisle Driggers, former director/treasurer of the S.C. Baptist Convention.
Zion Pilgrim Missionary Baptist
Men's Day, 10 a.m. Sunday. All invited.