- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Revival, "The Church Moving Forward With A Purpose And Plan," Sunday. Morning service 11 a.m., evening service 2:30 p.m. Speaker at 2:30 p.m. will be the Rev. Persell Ross of Lockhart. Services also at 7 p.m. nightly Monday through Friday with the Rev. Robert Entzminger.
Revival, "Building Up Our Most Holy Faith," Sunday through Thursday. Revivalist for the week, the Rev. Donnie Dye of Zion Pilgrim Baptist, opens revival at 2 p.m. Services at 7 p.m. nightly Monday through Thursday.
AA meetings are held at 8 p.m. Wednesdays in the fellowship hall.
•UMW nursing home birthday party, 2 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 19.
• Revival for the fourth We Love Bethel party, Sunday, Aug. 24, with a covered dish supper. Catered meal by the Summit Restaurant Monday, Aug. 25. Cook team provides the meal Tuesday, Aug. 26. Different minister preaches each night. Different members give testimonies throughout the week. Cottage prayer meetings prior to revival each night, special music each night.
Black Rock Baptist
• Revival, Aug. 24-28. Pastor Kennedy F. Threatt Sr. speaks at 10 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 24, and Pastor Bennie Stinson of Mount Zion Baptist, Heath Springs, speaks at 2 p.m. Services at 7 p.m. nightly Aug. 25-28 with Pastor George Mackey of Loving Charity Baptist, Richburg, on Monday, Aug. 25; Pastor Anthony Pelham of Faith, Hope and Victory Christian Church, Lancater on Tuesday, Aug. 26; Pastor James E. Williams of Christian Home Baptist, Chester, on Wednesday, Aug. 27; and Pastor Timothy Cousar of Mount Hopewell Baptist, Chester, on Thursday, Aug. 28. 1006 Old Richburg Road.
• Golden Age Club day trip to Savannah, Tuesday, Oct. 7. Round-trip transportation, buffet breakfast, tour of African American history sites, historic river walk on River Street and buffet dinner. Call Marilyn Stinson at 803-230-7147 or Shirley Caldwell at 581-2478 as soon as possible. First deposit due Monday, Aug. 25. Two departure locations, Rock Hill and Chester.
Blackstock First Baptist
• Homecoming, Sunday. Revival, Aug. 11-13.
• Visit to Chester Active Day Center, 10 a.m. Monday, Aug. 18.
• Baptist Men's Day, Sunday, Aug. 31.
Browns Chapel AME Zion
Chinese auction, Saturday, Aug. 16, in the fellowship hall. Drop time 10 a.m. to noon, auction at noon. Call 374-6276, 803-454-5741 or 385-2046.
Calvary Apostolic Pentecostal
Beginning Sunday, Aug. 10, there will be worship at 11 a.m. at Carolina Hall, 119 College St. All welcome. Call Pastor David Hinton at 385-6848.
• Wednesday morning Bible study and breakfast resumes at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• Men's morning Bible study and prayer resumes at 7 a.m. Friday, Aug. 15, in the Barron Room.
• Mid-week meal and activities kick-off bash, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 27. Games, bouncy houses.
• Fall psalm sing at Hopewell ARP, 5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
Chester District Home Mission Department
Chinese auction, Saturday at Mount Moriah AME Zion Church, Richburg. Drop time at noon, auction at 2 p.m. Food will be served.
Chester First Baptist
Registrations taken for four-year-old kindergarten. Call 377-7187.
Chestnut Grove AME Zion
• Ten-year anniversary celebration with fun, food and games, noon Saturday. Anointed Voices will sing.
• Revival starts Sunday, Aug. 17. Evening service at 2:30 p.m. with the Rev. Kennedy F. Threatt of Black Rock Baptist. No night service. Services Monday through Thursday, Aug. 18-21, at 7 p.m. with the Rev. William Bryson of Second Wilson Baptist.
Revival, Sunday through Thursday with Pastor Earl Stringfellow of Mount Pilgrim Baptist, Fort Lawn.
Faith and Love Christian Center
Summer Enrichment Program, 3:30 to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday utilizing skills of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). For grades three through eight. Visit www.faithandlove.info/summerenrichment.html.
First Baptist of Lowrys
• Men's breakfast, 8 a.m. Sunday for $3 per plate.
• Homecoming, Sunday, Aug. 24.
• Lowrys Sportsman Lowdown, 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5, with Captain Jerry of the Red Fin Boat.
First Church of the Nazarene
Marriage enrichment event, "From This Moment On," Saturday, Sept. 13. Costs are $30 per couple, $15 per individual which includes all sessions and a steak dinner. Sessions include empathy, positive and encouraging communication, guarding your heart and vow renewal with Pastor Porter. The event features worship, dinner and door prizes. For details and tickets, call, text or e-mail Jutanna Love at 385-7206 or email@example.com or Maggie Mobley at 899-1929 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
First Free Will Baptist
Stitchers group, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
Friendship Missionary Baptist
Free dirt by appointment only. Call the church at 385-5726.
Revival begins at 10 a.m. Sunday with the Rev. Charles Pratt. The 2 p.m. speaker will be the Rev. Jelester Sanders of New High Springs Baptist, Gastonia. Revival continues at 7 p.m. nightly Aug. 10-14 with Bishop Terry McCaskill of Mt. Sinai World Outreach Ministries, Pendleton, S.C. Theme: "Pressing Your Way Through Hard Times and Tribulations With Jesus."
Harvest Time Ministries
Gospel singing, 6 p.m. Saturday with Bill Hinson, Loretta Black, Steve Funderburk and friends. Featured singer is Robert "Cooter" Roof of Chester. Listen to 90.3 FM from 9 to 10 a.m. Sundays.
Now taking enrollment for van rider afterschool and tutoring. Also taking enrollment for four-year-old kindergarten through eighth grade. Call 581-1793 for details and/or to rent the conference room. First day for Holy Place Christian Academy is 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 18. Pick-up time 3:30 p.m. for all school-age children.
• Bible study for adults, youth Bible study and Children In Action doing Christmas In August in support of missionaries, Wednesday.
• Needed food pantry item is saltine crackers. Last week was beef stew.
• Place items for Sunday bulletins on the office desk before Thursday of each week.
Love and Charity Baptist
Ordination service for Jeffery Stroud, 6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 16. All welcome.
Mount Moriah Baptist
• Revival, Aug. 10-14. Pastor Persell Ross of St. Luke Baptist, Sharon, speaks at 11 a.m. Sunday and Pastor Milton Kee of Pleasant Grove Baptist, Clover, speaks at 7 p.m. Nightly services at 7 p.m. Aug. 11-14 with Pastor Wendell Sumter of Zion Mill Creek, Columbia.
• Back To School Bash, noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 16. Free school supplies, food and fun.
Mount Prospect Baptist
Revival begins Sunday. Sunday school at 9 a.m., prayer service at 10 a.m., call to worship at 10:30 a.m. No Sunday night service. Services at 7 p.m. nightly Aug. 11-14 with the Rev. James Mason of Emmanuel Chapel, Jonesville. Various choirs will sing. All welcome.
New Hope UMC
• Vacation Bible school, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 16.
• Homecoming, Sunday, Aug. 24, with the Rev. Paige Wheeler. Business meeting at 10:30 a.m. with remembrances and special music. Worship at 11:15 a.m., covered dish dinner afterward.
• Men's Ministries breakfast, Saturday.
• Deacons' meeting, Tuesday.
• Visit to Chester Active Day Center, Thursday, Aug. 21.
• Fall WMU meeting at West Side Baptist, Monday, Aug. 25. Meal at 6:30 p.m., training for all ages.
• Gathering goods for church yard sale from 8:30 to noon each day.
• Baptismal service, 6 p.m. Sunday. Fellowship afterward, bring finger foods.
• Fifth Sunday singing, Sunday, Aug. 31.
• Purity Playschool taking applications for two- and three-year-old classes for the 2014-2015 school year. Space is limited, call 377-8175.
• The Bible in 90 days, 9:45 a.m. Sunday and 7 p.m. Monday.
• Boy Scout Sunday, 3:30 p.m.
• Worship Committee meeting, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Women's Group meeting, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Saluda Street Church of God
• Disciples In Training pancake breakfast at Crossroads Restaurant, 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday. See Regina Mathis or Charlie Wilson.
• Pickle ball in the Family Life Center, 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday. See Ronnie Greenwood for details.
• Young At Heart picnic, noon Saturday, Aug. 23, with a special guest.
• Open Doors community youth service, Friday, Aug. 29.
• Labor Day picnic at the State Park, 3 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
St. Mark's Episcopal
• Free community jazz cook-out, 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 13. Evening prayer and Holy Eucharist at 6:30 p.m. with the Rev. Gordon Hamilton of Christ Episcopal Church, Lancaster.
• Free Sunnyside-Up breakfast for children and seniors, 8 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 16 in the fellowship hall. For reservations, call 379-1683.
Joshua Tent Ministries (Thomas Currence) will hold a tent service at 7 p.m. nightly until further notice beside the old Finley School in East Chester. Everyone welcome to bring the sick, lame and the lost. Donations welcome. Call 374-4466 or 389-7264.
Homecoming, Sunday. Sunday school at 9:45 a.m., worship at 11 a.m. with lunch afterward. The Rev. John Fastenau will speak. All welcome. Bring a covered dish.
True Gospel Church of God in Christ
Free men's conference, "You Are A Mighty Man Of God Whether You Know It Or Not," 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 30, with Apostle David Littlejohn of Holy Jerusalem Church, Gastonia. Pastor Lenard Price will also speak. Financial workshops, panel discussions on men's issues, fellowship, lunch, more. Free registration at www.truegospelchester.org/ or call 581-1586. All men invited, church is at 552 Ashford Road.
Potluck and fellowship, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 13, in the social hall. Call 379-6711.
Wesley Memorial UMC
• Wheels With Meals delivers to shut-ins Tuesday.
• Back to school ice cream social, 6:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 17. Also start of evening church on Sundays.
• Family Night, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 20.
• Men's Breakfast Club, 7:45 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 24.
• Sunday night Bible study begins at 6:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 24.
• Beach Bum Sunday, Aug. 31. Casual dress. Meal afterward, bring summer dish or garden dish.
• Clothes drive being planned, bring in clothes, coats, gloves or hats. Call 377-8400.
• Food Pantry item is crackers.
West Side Baptist
• Working at 106 Oak St., 8 a.m. Saturday. All welcome.
• R.E.A.C.H. "E" Team, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Prayer breakfast, 8 a.m. Wednesday. AWANA Lite and prayer meeting, 7 p.m.
• Embracers meet at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 19.
• Fall WMU meeting, Monday, Aug. 25. Meal at 6:30 p.m., training for all ages.
• Food Pantry item of the month is jelly.
• Nominating Committee meeting after morning worship Sunday.
• Men's Ministry meeting, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the fellowship hall.
• Children and youth to go tubing, Saturday, Aug. 16, in Helen, Ga. Last week for sign-ups.
• Prayer requests to www.wilksburgbaptist.com.
Zion Pilgrim Missionary Baptist
Revival, 10 a.m. Sunday with Pastor Donnie D. Dye. The 2 p.m. speaker will be the Rev. Michael Henderson of Bethlehem Grove Baptist Church, Clinton. Revival continues at 7 p.m. nightly Aug. 18-21 with the Rev. Johnny Brown of The Genesis Church, Gastonia. Theme: "Laying the Foundations Again, Psalm 11:3 – (Repentance, Confession, Prayer, Word of God, Obedience and Faith)."