- Special Sections
- Public Notices
AA meetings are held at 8 p.m. Wednesdays in the fellowship hall.
We Love Bethel party rescheduled for Sept. 28-30 beginning with a cottage prayer meeting drop-in at the parsonage at 7 p.m. Monday, Sept. 22. More events and times to be announced.
Revival, Sunday. Sunday school at 10 a.m., worship at 11 a.m. with the Rev. James W. Hope. The Rev. Franklin Smith speaks at 2 p.m. Sunday and at 7 p.m. nightly Monday-Thursday. 2995 West Chester School Road, all welcome.
Black Rock Baptist
• Revival, Aug. 24-28. Pastor Kennedy F. Threatt Sr. speaks at 10 a.m. Sunday and Pastor Bennie Stinson of Mount Zion Baptist, Heath Springs, speaks at 2 p.m. Services at 7 p.m. nightly Aug. 25-28 with Pastor George Mackey of Loving Charity Baptist, Richburg, on Monday, Pastor Anthony Pelham of Faith, Hope and Victory Christian Church, Lancater on Tuesday, Pastor James E. Williams of Christian Home Baptist, Chester, on Wednesday and Pastor Timothy Cousar of Mount Hopewell Baptist, Chester, on Thursday. 1006 Old Richburg Road.
• Golden Age Club day trip to Savannah, Tuesday, Oct. 7. Round-trip transportation, buffet breakfast, tour of African American history sites, historic river walk on River Street and buffet dinner. Call Marilyn Stinson at 803-230-7147 or Shirley Caldwell at 581-2478 as soon as possible. First deposit due Monday. Two departure locations, Rock Hill and Chester.
Blackstock First Baptist
Baptist Men's Day, Sunday, Aug. 31.
Calvary Apostolic Pentecostal
There is now worship at 11 a.m. Sundays at Carolina Hall, 119 College St. All welcome. Call Pastor David Hinton at 385-6848.
Important meeting for all youth directors, leaders and advisors, 10 a.m. Saturday. Those who can't attend should send a representative.
Capers Chapel UMC
Fifth Sunday night singing, 6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
• Mid-week meal and activities kick-off bash, 6 p.m. Wednesday. Games, bouncy houses.
• Fall psalm sing at Hopewell ARP, 5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
Chester First Baptist
• Annual day at Lake Wateree, Sunday.
• RAs and GAs collecting school supplies for children at Connie Maxwell Children's Home in Greenwood. Donations needed.
Cool Branch Baptist
• Church-wide end-of-summer get-together, 5 p.m. Saturday. Mike Shaffer will entertain as Jerry Clower. Barbecue provided, see Leann Varnadore or sign-up sheet for side dishes. Door prizes, bingo, etc. Bring school supplies for needy children. All welcome.
• Family Night, Sunday, Aug. 31. Meal at 5 p.m. (chicken provided, see sign-up sheet for side dishes), presentation from mission trip by grandchildren of Terry and Ernie Stevenson at 6 p.m., deacons' meeting at 7 p.m.
• Breakfast provided by the church, 9 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 7, followed by Sunday school at 10 a.m. and worship at 11 a.m.
First Baptist of Lowrys
• Homecoming with the Rev. Bob Finley, noon Sunday.
• Fall WMU meeting at West Side Baptist, Monday. Meal at 6:30 p.m., training for all ages.
• Lowrys Sportsman Lowdown, 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5, with Captain Jerry of the Red Fin Boat.
First Church of the Nazarene
Marriage enrichment event, "From This Moment On," Saturday, Sept. 13. Costs are $30 per couple, $15 per individual which includes all sessions and a steak dinner. Sessions include empathy, positive and encouraging communication, guarding your heart and vow renewal with Pastor Porter. Worship, dinner and door prizes. For details and tickets, call, text or e-mail Jutanna Love at 385-7206 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Maggie Mobley at 899-1929 or email@example.com.
First Free Will Baptist
Fundraiser dinner after church Sunday.
One hundred seventy-fifth anniversary celebration, Sunday, Sept. 14. Reception at 9 a.m., church service at 10 a.m., lunch at noon. Outdoor music festival and children's activities.
Hot dog and bake sale, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Tractor Supply.
Lando Church of God
Homecoming, Sunday, Sept. 7, after morning worship. Rob Bailey, state youth director, will speak.
• Janie Chapman Mission March coming up, battle between men and women going on now.
• Children In Action sending package to Joe and Mindy Jamison, North American Missions Team. Needed items in bulletin.
• Needed food pantry item is baked beans.
• Place items for Sunday bulletins on the office desk before Thursday of each week.
Mount Dearborn UMC
Homecoming, 11 a.m. Sunday followed by covered dish meal. Revival, 7 p.m. nightly Aug. 24-26 with the Rev. Scott Cloninger. Public invited.
New Hope UMC
• Homecoming, Sunday with the Rev. Paige Wheeler. Business meeting at 10:30 a.m. with remembrances and special music. Worship at 11:15 a.m., covered dish dinner afterward.
• Fifth Sunday night singing at Capers Chapel UMC, 6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
New Impact Ministries
Empowerment services, 9:30 a.m. second and fourth Sundays at 161 West End across from Wylie Park with Pastor Corey Sanders.
New Life Baptist
Fundraiser for Alzheimer's Association and Christ Central Ministries, Saturday, Sept. 20. Barbecue, hot dogs, bluegrass concert by Chappel Road and Mike Shaffer as Jerry Clower. Lunch at noon, concert at 1 p.m. Tickets $10 in advance, $12 at the door. Call 385-5753 for tickets. Children age 12 and younger free. Fee includes barbecue or hot dog plate and concert. Bring a lawn chair. Church is at 1044 Columbia Road.
New Zion Baptist
Revival, Sept. 7-11. Pastor Donald Woodard speaks at 11 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 7; the Rev. Jerome Boyd of Pine Grove Baptist speaks at 2 p.m.; and the Rev. John Heath of St. Paul Baptist speaks at 6 p.m. Services at 7 p.m. nightly Sept. 8-11 feature the Rev. J.K. Stringfellow of Emmanuel Missionary Baptist, Chester.
Fall WMU meeting at West Side Baptist, Monday. Meal at 6:30 p.m., training for all ages.
• Gathering goods for church yard sale from 8:30 to noon each day.
• Fifth Sunday singing, Sunday, Aug. 31.
• WMU collecting money for Jordan Diggs' kidney transplant.
• Rally Day, Sunday. Volunteers and teachers commissioned during 11 a.m. worship, children's church graduates recognized and potluck luncheon. Bring items for school supply drive.
• The Bible in 90 days, 9:45 a.m. Sunday and 7 p.m. Monday.
• Boy Scout Sunday, 3:30 p.m.
• Session meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Wednesday night program with meal at 6 p.m. Bible study and recreation at 6:30 p.m. Youth and children's music.
Saluda Street Church of God
• Young At Heart picnic, noon Saturday with special guest, a Minnie Pearl impersonator.
• Pickle ball in the Family Life Center, 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday. See Ronnie Greenwood for details.
• Open Doors community youth service, Friday, Aug. 29.
• Labor Day picnic at the State Park, 3 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
Joshua Tent Ministries (Thomas Currence) will hold a tent service at 7 p.m. nightly until further notice beside the old Finley School in East Chester. Everyone welcome to bring the sick, lame and the lost. Donations welcome. Call 374-4466 or 389-7264.
Together As One
Chicken strip lunch with two vegetables, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today. Plates are $6, drinks $1.
True Gospel Church of God in Christ
Free men's conference, "You Are A Mighty Man Of God Whether You Know It Or Not," 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 30, with Apostle David Littlejohn of Holy Jerusalem Church, Gastonia. Pastor Lenard Price will also speak. Financial workshops, panel discussions on men's issues, fellowship, lunch, more. Free registration at www.truegospelchester.org/ or call 581-1586. All men invited, church is at 552 Ashford Road.
Labor Day barbecue and bake sale will not be held this year due to lack of sufficient help. Plans are to hold it again next year.
Wesley Memorial UMC
• Men's Breakfast Club, 7:45 a.m. Sunday.
• Sunday night Bible study begins at 6:30 p.m. Sunday.
• Beach Bum Sunday, Aug. 31. Casual dress. Meal afterward, bring summer dish or garden dish.
• Clothes drive being planned, bring in clothes, coats, gloves or hats. Call 377-8400.
• Food Pantry item is crackers.
West Side Baptist
• Working at 106 Oak St., 8 a.m. today.
• Fall WMU meeting, Monday. Meal and session at 6:30 p.m., training for all ages.
• R.E.A.C.H. "C" Team, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Prayer breakfast, 8 a.m. Wednesday. AWANA Lite and prayer meeting, 7 p.m.
• Fall WMU quarterly association meeting, 6:30 p.m. Monday at West Side Baptist.
• Fifth Sunday night singing, 6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31. Finger foods to follow.
• "The Story" starts Sunday, Sept. 7.
• Food Pantry item of the month is jelly.
Word and Spirit Christian Fellowship
Family Night, "Hallelujah Sock Hop," 7:15 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3, at the York Street location.