- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Revival, "The Church Moving Forward With A Purpose And Plan," concludes at 7 p.m. tonight with the Rev. Robert Entzminger.
AA meetings are held at 8 p.m. Wednesdays in the fellowship hall.
• UMW nursing home birthday party, 2 p.m. Tuesday.
• Revival for the fourth We Love Bethel party, Sunday, Aug. 24, with a covered dish supper. Catered meal by the Summit Restaurant Monday, Aug. 25. Cook team provides the meal Tuesday, Aug. 26. Different minister preaches each night. Different members give testimonies throughout the week. Cottage prayer meetings prior to revival each night, special music each night.
Black Rock Baptist
• Revival, Aug. 24-28. Pastor Kennedy F. Threatt Sr. speaks at 10 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 24, and Pastor Bennie Stinson of Mount Zion Baptist, Heath Springs, speaks at 2 p.m. Services at 7 p.m. nightly Aug. 25-28 with Pastor George Mackey of Loving Charity Baptist, Richburg, on Monday, Aug. 25; Pastor Anthony Pelham of Faith, Hope and Victory Christian Church, Lancater on Tuesday, Aug. 26; Pastor James E. Williams of Christian Home Baptist, Chester, on Wednesday, Aug. 27; and Pastor Timothy Cousar of Mount Hopewell Baptist, Chester, on Thursday, Aug. 28. 1006 Old Richburg Road.
• Golden Age Club day trip to Savannah, Tuesday, Oct. 7. Round-trip transportation, buffet breakfast, tour of African American history sites, historic river walk on River Street and buffet dinner. Call Marilyn Stinson at 803-230-7147 or Shirley Caldwell at 581-2478 as soon as possible. First deposit due Monday, Aug. 25. Two departure locations, Rock Hill and Chester.
Blackstock First Baptist
• Visit to Chester Active Day Center, 10 a.m. Monday.
• Baptist Men's Day, Sunday, Aug. 31.
Browns Chapel AME Zion
Chinese auction, Saturday in the fellowship hall. Drop time 10 a.m. to noon, auction at noon. Call 374-6276, 803-454-5741 or 385-2046.
Calvary Apostolic Pentecostal
There is now worship at 11 a.m. Sundays at Carolina Hall, 119 College St. All welcome. Call Pastor David Hinton at 385-6848.
Capers Chapel UMC
Fifth Sunday night singing, 6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
• Men's morning Bible study and prayer resumes at 7 a.m. today in the Barron Room.
• Mid-week meal and activities kick-off bash, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 27. Games, bouncy houses.
• Fall psalm sing at Hopewell ARP, 5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
Chester First Baptist
• Kids Klub and youth kick-off, 6 p.m. Sunday.
• RAs and GAs collecting school supplies for children at Connie Maxwell Children's Home in Greenwood. Donations needed.
• Annual day at Lake Wateree, Sunday, Aug. 24.
• Registrations taken for four-year-old kindergarten. Call 377-7187.
Chestnut Grove AME Zion
Revival starts Sunday. Evening service at 2:30 p.m. with the Rev. Kennedy F. Threatt of Black Rock Baptist. No night service. Services Monday through Thursday at 7 p.m. with the Rev. William Bryson of Second Wilson Baptist.
Cool Branch Baptist
Church-wide end-of-summer get-together, 6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23. Mike Shaffer will entertain as Jerry Clower, games, food, fellowship. See Lynn Varnadore or sign up in the vestibule for side dishes.
First Baptist of Lowrys
• Pine Ridge Boys Quartet concert, 6 p.m. Saturday.
• Homecoming with the Rev. Bob Finley, Sunday, Aug. 24.
• Fall WMU meeting at West Side Baptist, Monday, Aug. 25. Meal at 6:30 p.m., training for all ages.
• Lowrys Sportsman Lowdown, 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5, with Captain Jerry of the Red Fin Boat.
First Church of the Nazarene
Marriage enrichment event, "From This Moment On," Saturday, Sept. 13. Costs are $30 per couple, $15 per individual which includes all sessions and a steak dinner. Sessions include empathy, positive and encouraging communication, guarding your heart and vow renewal with Pastor Porter. The event features worship, dinner and door prizes. For details and tickets, call, text or e-mail Jutanna Love at 385-7206 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Maggie Mobley at 899-1929 or email@example.com.
Friendship Missionary Baptist
Free dirt by appointment only. Call the church at 385-5726.
Now taking enrollment for van rider afterschool and tutoring. Also taking enrollment for four-year-old kindergarten through eighth grade. Call 581-1793 for details and/or to rent the conference room. First day for Holy Place Christian Academy is 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday. Pick-up time 3:30 p.m. for all school-age children.
Lando Church of God
• Youth revival, tonight through Sunday. The Rev. Neil Dubose, youth minister from Sumter, speaks tonight; singing with the Harris Family Saturday night; and Pastor Ricky McManus speaks Sunday morning. All welcome.
• Homecoming, Sunday, Sept. 7, after morning worship. Rob Bailey, state youth director, will speak.
• Needed food pantry item is . Last week was saltine crackers.
• Place items for Sunday bulletins on the office desk before Thursday of each week.
Love and Charity Baptist
Ordination service for Jeffery Stroud, 6 p.m. Saturday. All welcome.
Mount Dearborn UMC
Homecoming, 11 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 24, followed by covered dish meal. Revival, 7 p.m. nightly Aug. 24-26 with the Rev. Scott Cloninger. Public invited.
Mount Moriah Baptist
Back To School Bash, noon to 2 p.m. Saturday. Free school supplies, food and fun.
Mount Vernon AME Zion
Homecoming, 2:30 p.m. Sunday with the Rev. A.J. Startor of St. Luke AME Zion, Carlisle. Revival, 6:30 p.m. nightly Monday through Thursday with the Rev. Edwin Ferguson. Church is in Fort Lawn.
New Hope UMC
• Homecoming, Sunday, Aug. 24, with the Rev. Paige Wheeler. Business meeting at 10:30 a.m. with remembrances and special music. Worship at 11:15 a.m., covered dish dinner afterward.
• Fifth Sunday night singing at Capers Chapel UMC, 6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
New Life Baptist
Fundraiser for Alzheimer's Association and Christ Central Ministries, Saturday, Sept. 20. Barbecue, hot dogs, bluegrass concert by Chappel Road and Mike Shaffer as Jerry Clower. Lunch at noon, concert at 1 p.m. Tickets $10 in advance, $12 at the door. Call 385-5753 for tickets. Children age 12 and younger free. Fee includes barbecue or hot dog plate and concert. Bring a lawn chair. Church is at 1044 Columbia Road.
New Zion Baptist
Revival, Sept. 7-11. Pastor Donald Woodard speaks at 11 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 7; the Rev. Jerome Boyd of Pine Grove Baptist speaks at 2 p.m.; and the Rev. John Heath of St. Paul Baptist speaks at 6 p.m. Services at 7 p.m. nightly Sept. 8-11 feature the Rev. J.K. Stringfellow of Emmanuel Missionary Baptist, Chester.
• Visit to Chester Active Day Center, Thursday.
• Fall WMU meeting at West Side Baptist, Monday, Aug. 25. Meal at 6:30 p.m., training for all ages.
Paradise AME Zion
Last quarterly conference of the year, 1:30 p.m. Saturday with Elder Marion Wilson. All members asked to be present.
• Gathering goods for church yard sale from 8:30 to noon each day.
• Fifth Sunday singing, Sunday, Aug. 31.
Prayer in the Park
Prayer at Frank Connor Park (behind Shelton's Barber Shop), 6 p.m. tonight. All welcome.
• Communion, 11 a.m. Sunday.
• The Bible in 90 days, 9:45 a.m. Sunday and 7 p.m. Monday.
• Boy Scout Sunday, 3:30 p.m.
• Food Pantry Board meeting, 6:30 p.m. Monday.
• Bring in items for school supply drive.
• Purity Playschool taking applications for two- and three-year-old classes for the 2014-2015 school year. Space is limited, call 377-8175.
Saluda Street Church of God
• Pickle ball in the Family Life Center, 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday. See Ronnie Greenwood for details.
• Young At Heart picnic, noon Saturday, Aug. 23, with a special guest.
• Open Doors community youth service, Friday, Aug. 29.
• Labor Day picnic at the State Park, 3 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31.
St. Mark's Episcopal
Free Sunnyside-Up breakfast for children and seniors, 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday in the fellowship hall. Healthy eating habits, table etiquette skills. For reservations, call 379-1683 or e-mail sunnysideup119@ gmail.com.
Joshua Tent Ministries (Thomas Currence) will hold a tent service at 7 p.m. nightly until further notice beside the old Finley School in East Chester. Everyone welcome to bring the sick, lame and the lost. Donations welcome. Call 374-4466 or 389-7264.
Together As One
Chicken strip lunch with two vegetables, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, Aug. 22. Plates are $6, drinks $1.
True Gospel Church of God in Christ
Free men's conference, "You Are A Mighty Man Of God Whether You Know It Or Not," 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 30, with Apostle David Littlejohn of Holy Jerusalem Church, Gastonia. Pastor Lenard Price will also speak. Financial workshops, panel discussions on men's issues, fellowship, lunch, more. Free registration at www.truegospelchester.org/ or call 581-1586. All men invited, church is at 552 Ashford Road.
Labor Day barbecue and bake sale will not be held this year due to lack of sufficient help. Plans are to hold it again next year.
Wesley Memorial UMC
• Back to school ice cream social, 6:30 p.m. Sunday. Also start of evening church on Sundays.
• Family Night, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Men's Breakfast Club, 7:45 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 24.
• Sunday night Bible study begins at 6:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 24.
• Beach Bum Sunday, Aug. 31. Casual dress. Meal afterward, bring summer dish or garden dish.
• Clothes drive being planned, bring in clothes, coats, gloves or hats. Call 377-8400.
• Food Pantry item is crackers.
West Side Baptist
• Embracers meet at 11 a.m. Tuesday.
• R.E.A.C.H. "E" Team, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Prayer breakfast, 8 a.m. Wednesday. AWANA Lite and prayer meeting, 7 p.m.
• Fall WMU meeting, Monday, Aug. 25. Meal at 6:30 p.m., training for all ages.
• Food Pantry item of the month is jelly.
• Men's Ministry meeting, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the fellowship hall.
• Children and youth to go tubing, Saturday in Helen, Ga. Last week for sign-ups.
• Prayer requests to www.wilksburgbaptist.com.
Word and Spirit Christian Fellowship
Family Night, "Hallelujah Sock Hop," 7:15 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3, at the York Street location.
Zion Pilgrim Missionary Baptist
Revival, 10 a.m. Sunday with Pastor Donnie D. Dye. The 2 p.m. speaker will be the Rev. Michael Henderson of Bethlehem Grove Baptist Church, Clinton. Revival continues at 7 p.m. nightly Aug. 18-21 with the Rev. Johnny Brown of The Genesis Church, Gastonia. Theme: "Laying the Foundations Again, Psalm 11:3 – (Repentance, Confession, Prayer, Word of God, Obedience and Faith)."